The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is the ultimate race of the 2021 System One season and it might be a race for the ages because the thrilling title tussle between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton reaches its conclusion.
Hamilton is after an outright-record eighth drivers’ title, whereas Verstappen is chasing a maiden triumph that might finish his rival’s four-year run of championships.
Momentum has swung each methods all year long, with Hamilton overhauling a 32-point hole earlier than Verstappen then reassumed management going into the ultimate straight after wins within the US and Mexico.
Hamilton has since gained in Brazil, Qatar and Saudi Arabia, nevertheless, which implies the 2 protagonists go into the ultimate race stage on factors.
Verstappen has gained extra races this season and due to this fact has the tie-breaker in his favour in case each males crash out however it’s greater than possible that whoever passes the chequered flag first following 55 laps of the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi might be topped champion.
When is the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021?
(All instances GMT)
Friday 10 December
- First Follow: 9.30am-10.30am (stay on Sky Sports activities F1 and Foremost Occasion from 9am)
- Second Follow: 1pm-2pm (stay on Sky Sports activities F1 and Foremost Occasion from 12.45pm)
Saturday 11 December
- Third Follow 10am-11am (stay on Sky Sports activities F1 and Foremost Occasion from 9.45am)
- Qualifying: 1-2pm (stay on Sky Sports activities F1 and Foremost Occasion from 12pm)
Sunday 12 December
- Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: 1pm (stay on Sky Sports activities F1 and Foremost Occasion from 11:30am, Channel 4 from 11.45am)
- Race highlights: Channel 4 at 5.30pm
Final day trip: Verstappen wins Abu Dhabi GP
This time final yr the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix gave us a style of what was to return in 2021.
Verstappen secured his first pole of the 2020 marketing campaign – and solely the third of his profession – when qualifying forward of Valtteri Bottas and Hamilton.
The Crimson Bull driver then loved a flawless pole-to-chequered-flag victory, successful by a margin of just about 16 seconds forward of Bottas, with Hamilton lower than three seconds behind his Mercedes teammate.
That was solely Verstappen’s second win of the season, whereas Hamilton had lengthy secured the title by then, ending the 17-race marketing campaign 124 factors away from runner-up Bottas and 133 forward of Verstappen in third.
Going into the 2021 finale, it bodes nicely for Verstappen that he has prior expertise successful on this circuit, however Hamilton isn’t any stranger to victory in Abu Dhabi both, successful 5 editions between 2011 and 2019.
- 1st: Max Verstappen (Crimson Bull) 369.5 factors
- 2nd: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 369.5
- third: Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) 218
- 4th: Sergio Perez (Crimson Bull) 190
- fifth: Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) 158
- sixth: Lando Norris (McLaren) 154
- seventh: Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) 149.5
- eighth: Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren) 115
- ninth: Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri) 100
- tenth: Fernando Alonso (Alpine) 77
- 1st: Mercedes 587.5
- 2nd: Crimson Bull 559.5
- third: Ferrari 307.5
- 4th: McLaren 269
- fifth: Alpine 149
- sixth: AlphaTauri 120
- seventh: Aston Martin 77
- eighth: Williams 23
- ninth: Alfa Romeo 13
- tenth: Haas 0